DIR PLUS is a SD2IEC browser, program starter and file manager solution for your Commodore 64 and Plus/4. My goal with the file management functionality has been that you never should have to put your SD card in a modern computer for file managing.
You can copy and paste files between folders, rename files etc. You can view some file formats and even extract files from disk images. You can also set 16 global tools that you can reach from any folder or disk image. For example, start an outside word processor inside of a disk image that only contains text files.
Note that only the Plus/4 version include soft jiffy turbo. The C64 version is meant to be used with a cartridge (or rom) disk turbo of your choice. Dir Plus for C64 was developed together with Final Cartridge III.
The Plus/4 and C64 versions are part of the same installation and the correct program is loaded when starting the program "D". This way, you can use the same SD card for both computers.
* The global link list (K and Shift-K) is now not only limited to programs. You can now set links to folders and disk images as well. These are marked with an "at"-sign. There is a distinct difference between these and programs. With folders and disk image links, you are just taken to that folder and Dir Plus continues. With programs, the program is started and you will remain in the current directory (or disk image) regardless of where the program is located. The link list is now also loaded just once instead of being reloaded every time if you use it.
* G=guess: This is also related to the new folder links. If you start DirPlus in a folder that is not the root dir, the full path will not be known (indicated by red title). Before using copy or "set link", the path must be known. "G" (for guess/get) looks through your links and sees if you have a matching link there, and then uses that link, and the path will then be known.
* You can now press X to move the file cursor to a random position in the list. So if you want to play a game but you don't know which to play, you can press X to let Dir Plus make a suggestion.
* You can now press Shift-N to jump to the next folder in the file list and Shift-B for the previous folder. It works just like N and B for going to the next or previous marked file, which now also is faster than before because this whole routine was optimized.
* The move files function (copy and then return and mark source files) now also jumps to the first marked file when finished, just like the search function does.
* In the C64 version, the P now flashes if the current directory isn't prepared for D Shift-Run/Stop start. This has always been the case in the Plus/4 version, but there the hardware blink feature of the TED chip is used instead of color flashing.
* The C64 version of the text viewer is now radically faster!
* Some other small adjustments.
News in V3.1c (May 2020 micro release only affecting the C64):
* Main program: Compatibility fix.
* Text viewer: You can now display one page at a time by pressing return when the text is paused. This is also the default, so only one page is shown at start.
To update from V3.0, just copy everything from the downloaded DIRPLUS folder to your DIRPLUS folder.
To upgrade from DIRPLUS 2.x, also replace "D" in the root dir. If you have some folders that you know will be used on both C64 and Plus/4, then "D" has to be replaced in those too. The "9" in the root dir can be deleted.